Maybe you bought a bunch of kale to try out that recipe that you pinned a long time ago, but now it’s started to wilt a little. Maybe you’re just tired of spending a bunch of money on kale chips that you know are overpriced. Or, maybe you’re just looking for potato chip replacement and you have some kale in your fridge right now.
Either way, this kale chip recipe is too easy not to try out. All you need is your choice of seasoning, some oil, kale (of course) and your handy dandy microwave. Microwaves are great for making perfectly crispy kale chips in less time than it takes to go out and buy a bag of (not as fresh) kale chips. Use the suggested seasoning or try out some of your own!
If you are enjoying this recipe series, you can check out the previous CSA recipe here:
Psst, some of our Johnson Fitness & Wellness stores are actually CSA pickup locations! We’ve got free totes to carry all of your goodies in. The CSA program that we use is organized by Westridge Organic Produce. To find out more about our local Madison, WI CSA program, you can go here!
Easy Crunchy Kale Chips in the Microwave
- 2 Large bunches of kale leaves
- 2 Tbs olive oil (experiment with flavored oils if you have them)
- 2 Tsp garlic powder
- Chili powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry kale leaves. Tear leaves away from stem and place in a large mixing bowl (you might have to do this in batches). Add the oil and spices to the bowl and use your hands to massage the oil into the kale until thoroughly coated.
- Spread one layer of kale on a plate and microwave for three minutes. Gently rotate and flip the kale pieces, then microwave for three more minutes until crunchy.
- Repeat microwaving single layers of kale in batches. Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Note: Time may vary depending on how wet your kale is and how powerful your microwave is. Make sure to not use too much oil and watch kale closely in case it starts on fire (!). Kale and plate will be VERY hot, so be careful.