Looking for a way to up the ante on your classic slaw recipe? This version features fennel bulbs which are perfectly in season this time of year and add a nice kick to the dish. Fennel seeds are often used to season Italian bratwursts, so this fennel slaw is a great pairing for those summertime grill outs.
(If you’re looking for some fun ways to stay active during those cookouts, we’ve got you right here: Outdoor BBQ Games for Family Fitness)
Not only is this super fast to make, if you end up just using a food processor, you only have to dirty up one dish! Bring this to the next cookout you attend and we promise it’ll be a hit!
If you are enjoying this recipe series, you can check out the previous CSA recipe here:
Psst, some of our Johnson Fitness & Wellness stores are actually CSA pickup locations! We’ve got free totes to carry all of your goodies in. The CSA program that we use is organized by Westridge Organic Produce. To find out more about our local Madison, WI CSA program, you can go here!
Fennel & Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 Head Green Cabbage
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Vegan or Traditional Mayo
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbs White Sugar
- 3 Tbs Cup Yellow or Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbs Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1/2 Tbs Celery Seed
- Salt and Pepper
- Finely chop the first three ingredients or process using a food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped vegetables with the remaining ingredients. Adjust any of the dressing ingredients to taste. Garnish with extra fresh dill and/or fennel fronds.