This isn’t your grandma’s cucumber sandwich. This crisp and refreshing sandwich is a nice ode to the end of summer and beginning of fall. Dress this up with whatever dressing or keep it simple with a dab of mayo. The addition of the Adobo chili sauce adds a smoky spice that rounds out the fresher flavors in this dish.
We like to enjoy this sandwich open-faced, not just because it looks so nice, but also so the subtle flavors from the cucumbers can really shine. Toasting the bread is essential so that the sandwich doesn’t get soggy from the cucumber (but we doubt this sandwich will last that long!)
If you are enjoying this recipe series, you can check out the previous CSA recipe here:
Psst, some of our Johnson Fitness & Wellness stores are actually CSA pickup locations! We’ve got free totes to carry all of your goodies in. The CSA program that we use is organized by Westridge Organic Produce. To find out more about our local Madison, WI CSA program, you can go here!
Cucumber Open Face Sandwich
- 1 Slice of hearty bread
- 5 Slices of cucumber, thin
- 2 Slices of red onion, thin
- 4-5 Spinach leaves
- 1 tsp. Vegan mayo
- 1 tsp. Adobo chili sauce from the can
- Lightly toast bread and let cool for a minute. Butter toast if preferred.
- Spread mayo on the bread. Layer spinach, cucumber and red onion slices over mayo.
- Sprinkle with adobo sauce and garnish with chiffonade basil leaves.
- chiffonade = roll basil leaf and cut with scissors to create thin strips.
- Serve with a pickle.