Looking to target those love handles a bit during your core training? Then it’s time to add in Heel Touches. This simple, but effective exercise will not only target those often-overlooked oblique muscles, but will also go a long way in helping build overall strength through the core and helping with things such as good posture and preventing low back pain.
How To Do Them:
- Lie on the floor (on your back) with your knees bent and feet about 18-24 inches apart.
- Extend your arms out to each side of your body and raise your shoulders slightly off the ground.
- Using your abdominal muscles reach your right hand toward the heel of your right foot. Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- Continue slowly alternating for 8-12 reps per side.
- As you reach your hand to your heel, pause briefly and exhale before returning to the starting position.
- Always focus on using your abdominal muscles and avoid excess “hunch” or curling of the shoulders.
- Try not to let your neck initiate the movement.
- Go slow…do not let momentum take over. Always pause and re-set at the starting position.
- Be sure to keep good foot position with your heels into the floor.